L.T. Wright Genesis Review

In the survival community you have to admit that the primary piece of gear is knives. Most all of us have way more than we need. We try to justify it to our wives/girlfriends but they don't understand. Don't worry I do and keep buying them- you need them! You don't but I thought I would make you feel better.

Over my course of knives my preference has changed like most of you. As of now I typically carry a "one-tool" option full tang fixed blade made of some super steel and pretty thick blade. Now most of the time when backpacking, camping, hunting, fishing, etc... this is overkill. Most camp chores need little more than a four inch blade. When bushcrafting we tend to carry knives, axes, and saws. With this combination your trading the weight from a "one-tool" option to a few tools. Typically because this is when your life is not in danger and you practicing your skills. Or if you choose to operate like those frontiersman a few years back (okay maybe for than a few years).

In my survival load out I tend to carry a few knives. One being a 4 inch and that tends to pull the brunt of the work as I've said before. I've wanted to try a dedicated bushcraft knife to really see how well it performed. For this challenge I chose the L.T. Wright Genesis. The Genesis is about as bushcraft as you can get when it comes to knives.

Here are the Specs:
Overall Length: 9"
Sharpened Edge: 4.25"
Steel: 1/8" A2
Grind: High Polished Scandi
Handle: Green Micarta


Out of the box the knife is a piece of art. Its truly a beautiful piece that looks like an heirloom piece that will be passed down generations. The Scandi grind is extremely sharp and holds an edge very well. Literally the hairs jumped off my arm as I skimmed it with the blade. This scandi grind has a super high polish with a 0 degree edge. This makes for extremely smooth cuts.

I was somewhat skeptical about the strength of a 1/8" knife but my skepticism quickly faded after the tons of batoning I delivered with the knife. The A2 steel was a good choice for this knife and solid design proves that the Genesis is a formidable woods blade.

The handle is a "broomstick" style (basically that its rounded with a straight shape) built from aesthetically pleasing green blasted micarta. Again seeing the knife may lead you to believe its going to be uncomfortable; it was anything but. This has to be one of the most comfortable knives I've owned. It has a full grip even though its paired with a thin blade. You have plenty of real estate to get a solid hook up when using the Genesis. There are also "thumb scallops" on the handle that I've not seen before. They allow the user to hold the knife comfortably in a variety of methods. There is also a brass lined lanyard hole at the rear of the knife.

The back edge of the knife has a 90 degree spine built ready to shave flaming shards off of a ferrocerium rod. This is also beneficial when scratching off a fine tinder pile from a piece of fat wood.

Securing the Genesis comes by way of a very gorgeous leather bushcraft pouch. This sheath can be suspended by a dangler system or ride high with conventional loop. There is also a firesteel loop that will hold up to a 3/8" ferro rod.

Overall I really like the feel, looks, and performance of the Genesis. If your in the market for a dedicated bushcraft knife I recommend going over and checking them out by clicking HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment