Elite Survival Systems: Vanguard Pro Pack Review

My favorite type of packs have to be 3 day packs. They are versatile and can be carried on day trips around town or a few nights in the field.

Today we are reviewing the Vanguard Pro Pack from Elite Survival Systems. Elite Survival Systems produces a wide range of gear ranging from holsters, weapon cases, sleeping bags, and packs to name a few.

The Vanguard Pro Pack is one of their three day packs as I've stated above. Its a fairly simplistic pack, allotting for storage space without giving you anything you don't need. It comes in tactical black or coyote tan color and is built from 1000D Nylon- retailing for $159.99.
Before going inside the pack lets talk about some of the outside features. There is a front slant pocket to keep small items at hand for immediate access. Along with the front slant pocket, all zippers are quality made YKK zippers with pull lanyards with plastic fobs.

Personalization comes by way of a velcro square to attach your desired flags or morale patches. There is also two rows of PALS webbing on the front as well as a few rows on each side of the pack for adding pouches, knives, and other gear.

At the top of the pack are two compression buckles with straps. I love and hate this feature and will explain why. I dislike it for the fact that I have to unbuckle them to access contents inside the pack. I do like the fact that it cinches down that portion of the pack to compress the gear inside to make it more manageable. I also like it for security purposes. Last year I was in Mexico City (not the most safe location in the world) and I had to tie my zippers together to keep from people trying to steal my goods while using another pack without this feature (thieves commonly steal items from tourist down there without them knowing). These buckles will make an audible noise and a certain amount pressure and would alert you if you were wearing the Vanguard Pro.
The front compartment offers some storage space as well as an admin panel. This admin panel will keep small items from being lost in the bottom of the pack, make them easier to retrieve, as well as organized.
Moving on to the main compartment, where there is much more room for storage. There are drain holes at the bottom of the pack- which I'd like to see removed because it also will allow water to enter the pack as much as it will to exit the pack. There is a hydration sleeve capable of storing a 3L water bladder.

 I really like the design of the hydration port. It has an elastic neoprene type port to keep the "gap" closed unlike some other packs I've used. This will prevent water from entering the pack in a heavy downpour.
The straps of the pack are designed in a comfortable padded "s-shape" with a sternum strap to secure your load. There is a heavily padded back panel with a deep channel to allow for maximum airflow. The pack does not include any type of frame. I would like to see a plastic sheet frame like on many 3 day packs on the market. Mainly to keep the pack from losing its shape.
I really liked the thick padded support belt. It's removable by way of velcro when not needed. It features two rows of PALS webbing to attach the gear of your choosing.

Overall I really liked the Vanguard Pro. I would like to see the upgraded features I mentioned in the article. But its definitely isn't a deal breaker. Being a Mid-Range pack I feel its on par with quality of similarly priced packs on the market.

If your in the market for a 3 day pack, check out the Vanguard Pro Pack at the link below:





No comments:

Post a Comment