I'm starting to dig Headlamps: Petzl Tikka Plus2 Review

I'll be honest, I have never really been a fan of headlamps. I know, I know, they are hands free and all that. However, usually they don't have a strong beam and really there's no "cool" way to wear them (and looking cool is important). I've pretty much always used my Sure-fire's or Photon Micro lights when I needed a light source. But I wanted to give headlamp-ing a shot, a fair chance we will say.

Petzl pretty much dominates the market when it comes to headlamps and they have a few models with some pretty awesome survival related features. The model I tested was the Petzl Tikka Plus2. Out of the box it looks much better than most headlamps I've had in the past (not so dorky I should say). There available in two color options one being the "Pistachio" or Green and a "Mystic Gray" (Shown here). FYI...the Mystic Gray looks more masculine than the Pistachio.
Red LED for night vision preservation

The Specs:

MSRP: $39.95

Power: 3 AAA alkaline batteries (can be used with lithium and rechargeable batteries)

Functions: 3 modes w/ white light- High, 50%, and Strobe. Red and Red Strobe. Low battery indicator

Output: High/70 Lumens with 40 meter reach capability

Duration: High/70 hours, 50 percent/155 hours, and Red Continuous 100 hours

Weight: 2.9 ounces w/ batteries, 1.5 w/o batteries


The Petzl Tikka Plus is a lightweight headlamp and very comfortable when worn. Comfort was a lacking feature in my previous headlamps. Having the capability of 70 lumens in a headlamp is all you really need for most camp task, and being able to cut that in half to conserve battery life is a definite plus.

The operation is simple, basically you click the button through the modes until you find the one you want to use. To turn on the Red LED just hold the button for two seconds and it comes on. The headband is adjustable and can be used with or without headgear. The lamp pivots on the mount to adjust up or down. Adjust up if you would like to illuminate at a distance, and point it down if you are working with your hands.

Using plain AAA's is a user friendly option, especially when traveling a abroad. Where finding "super" batteries may be difficult.

The Petzl Tikka Plus changed my mind about headlamps. It's packed with survival related features. The strobe can be used for signaling when your in distress and can be clipped around a tree for even more visibility.  The Red LED preserves your night vision and doesn't give away your presence as much as a white beam, both are functions important in a tactical environment. As with all headlamps...it's hands free.

I give the Petzl Tikka Plus2 two thumbs up. It's now the first illumination tool I grab when heading outdoors. It makes an awesome addition to any survival kit.

Get more information at: http://www.petzl.com/us


1 comment:

  1. Oh, headlamps are major useful when out in the wildreness and in need of both of your hands :) The one you tested is actually one of the good ones, but if you are interested in finding out more about headlamps, and seeing reviews of some of the best models on the market, then I suggest checking out this great article: http://hikingmastery.com/top-pick/best-headlamp.html

    ReplyDelete