Bridgford Ready to Eat Sandwiches...when MRE's just doesn't do it for you anymore

This is by far one of my favorite "Ready to Eat" foods. The convenience factor alone makes the Bridgford Ready to Eat Sandwiches a pretty awesome meal. If you spent anytime living off MRE's like I have; you know they begin to kill the morale a bit. Another fact about MRE's is that not all of the meal selection's are easy to eat on the move and some are impossible to eat without being heated- like Mexican rice. I can't even count the amount of times I had to trash a meal because we started patrolling before I was finished.

These sandwiches were first developed to be included in the First Strike Rations, a more portable and easy to consume meal for Special Operations Forces when carrying out missions in "Hot Zone's". They are perfect to chow-down-on when your on the move.

Weighing in at 2.5-3.5 oz's depending on the sandwich and has a 3 year shelf life. This 3 year shelf life is based on being kept in an 80 degree environment. It can last up to 6 months in a 100 degree environment. The outer shell is similar to the MRE bread or Hardtack. They can be heated by an MRE heater or boiling them in the package. I haven't heated any of them during my test and they are fine to me at room temperature.


Most sandwiches come in at around 300 calories with 11 grams of protein. Another thing I like is that they come in a variety of flavors including breakfast sandwiches. Here is a list of the different flavors:

  • Filled French Toast
  • Cinnamon Bun
  • Apple Turnover
  • Cherry Turnover
  • Bacon Chedder
  • BBQ Beef
  • BBQ Chicken
  • Italian Style
  • Sweet and Sour Soy
  • Pepperoni Stick
By far my favorite is the Italian Style, it taste like a pizza hot pocket. The Bacon Cheddar sandwich has real strips of bacon which was surprising to me. I would say my least favorite is the Sweet and Sour Soy and it was the only one I had trouble getting down. 

They are somewhat on the pricey side- around 4 bucks a pop. So I wouldn't get them to eat casually (even though I could eat them every day). They are however an excellent meal source for your Bug Out Bag. I plan to replace the MRE's that are in my BOB with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment