This is the SOL Origin- It's basically a Personal Survival Kit, where some of the survival tools have been integrated into the container itself. I like the concept; it makes use of valuable real estate. This kit is very compact and can be carried on your person quite easily.
|Tools integrated into Origin case|
The button compass is a liquid grade and has somewhat of a slow moving needle. I wouldn't use this as a primary compass. It's more intended to be a general direction back up compass, so that your not walking in circles. This is not a bad thing, as most kits this size include similar compasses.
|Core Lite submerged|
The LED light is placed at the blade of the knife. This is super beneficial when using the knife in the dark. I submerged the Core Lite and the light continued to shine. I would like to see a brighter LED.
Another feature of the Core Lite is the 100dB pea-less whistle. Pea-less whistles are better than your standard whistles. The Core Lite is also brightly colored in case you drop it on the woodland floor.
Spark Lite & Tinder Tab Review; Survival Spark.
Moving inside the case:
|Removing the lanyard will add extra space to the inside of the kit|
In the photo above you will see the inside contents.
- The needle is a heavy duty sail cloth needle and can be used in conjunction with the fishing line for quick repairs.
- 10 ft of braided nylon cord with a 150lbs test strength. For equipment repairs, animal traps and shelter construction. It can also be separated - while sacrificing strength, it will supply you with more cordage.
- Fishing kit includes 30' of fishing line (test strength unknown), 2 split shot, 2 snap swivels and 4 hooks. The hooks are excellent- they have bait thorns to keep bait from sliding off hook. As well as a slight bend to help with hooking the fish.
- 1 square foot of Aluminum foil to cook fish or to attempt boiling water.
- 4 Tinder Quik tabs. Tinder Quik tabs are waterproof and burn from 2:30-3 mins on average.
- 6 feet of mil spec stainless steel wire. Can be used to make snares or gear repair. I find this wire of better quality than the brass wire included in most kits.
- SOL Tips and Techniques pamphlet. Supplies you with basic instructions and helps facilitate memory while in already stressful survival situation.
There is also plenty of room to add more items. I would recommend some water purification tablets and a back up method of fire craft.
Overall this is an excellent kit for the size and price. I would like to see a brighter LED light and glass being used for the signal mirror, as it projects light crisp and bright, but it's definitely not a deal breaker. It's a great deal for what you're getting. The Core Lite when purchased separately is $20 by itself (SOL Origin MSRP $40). Pair this kit with a good knife and SOL Emergency Bivvy and you will be set.
Other than the integrated design, this kit isn't too far off from the kit I designed and that is currently sold in the Black Scout Store linked here: Survival Kit.
Leave your thoughts in the comment box below.
Check out the Origin and more SOL gear at http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/