Building your Bug Out Bag: Shelter

Determining what items you include for shelter will depend on the environment you live in. The area I live in; it would be difficult to die from the elements with no sheltering equipment. But if you live in Montana, the most important gear in your pack will be sheltering items. With that said I wont tell you what you need to pack, other than you need to over estimate what you think you will need.

I pack a camouflage heavy duty poncho. It can be used to form an tent-shelter, tarp canopy for the hammock, or it can be tied to the poncho liner to make a waterproof/windproof sleeping bag. (I'll demonstrate these in future articles or videos).

The hammock is a Grand Trunk ultralight hammock. I pack it because its comfortable, keeps me off the ground, or could be used as a light weight blanket.

One of my favorite items is my poncho liner. I've used one for years and they are lightweight and comfortable. They can be used as a blanket or tied into a sleeping bag.

I do suggest carrying a few emergency blankets due to their compact size and heat reflecting ability. I have 2 in my Bug Out Bag. One is OD green (because if I'm "bugging out" I probably don't want to be seen) and a bright orange HeatSheets Survival Blanket. They are super tough and it can be used for signaling.


1 comment:

  1. Love the grand trunk! Practically bulletproof and the price is right!
    SEMPER FI

    ReplyDelete