Mora Bushcraft Survival Black Knife Review

Mora's have long been a favorite among many survivalist and bushcrafter's. Largely due to the low cost. While I don't consider it a one-tool option deeming it an appropriate survival knife. It does have its place when used with other tools like axes and saws. In many parts of the country it may be all you need for a short term survival scenario (look at Cody Lundin).

Mora realized the demand and came out with a few bushcraft models. Today we will be discussing the Mora Bushcraft Black. By far one of my favorites in the Mora line-up. My first thought when handling the knife was how robust the knife was. It is much "beefier" than any of their other models. With a 4.35" blade that boast a 1/4" thickness.

The most notable feature is the blackened blade. Which is a tungsten DLC anti-corrosive black coating. This will aid in protecting the high carbon steel blade. It also looks pretty slick. Like most other Mora's; this knife has the signature scandi grind. Making it razor sharp. Aiding in its bushcraft abilities is a sharp ninety degree spine able to produce a shower of sparks from a ferrocerium rod. Also the coating doesn't hurt in the production of sparks like many other coatings I've seen on knives.

Being that the knife is a high carbon steel; I was able to produce sparks from striking the spine with a piece of flint rock. It will scratch and ding up the edge. So if your worried about messing up your knife don't try this.

Like all of Mora's to date, this knife has a rat tail tang. My main reasoning against this as being considered a formidable survival knife. As you can see in the picture above the tang slims down and only reaches about 3/4 of the handle length. This could become a problem when used in extensive long term wood work (like batoning). Although we could be proven wrong. The tip also looks to be fragile and wouldn't withstand heavy prying (something I expect from a survival knife).

The handle has great ergonomics. Its also much larger than your standard Mora. It's basically injection molded plastic covered in a rubber casing. The rubber is very "tacky" and even large hands will have a sure grip on the knife.

The model that I tested had the upgraded sheath. Its basically the injection molded sheath with an integrated diamond sharpener and ferrocerium rod. I think it was worth the extra loot to aid in firestarting and maintain a sharp edge in the field. The fire steel is a very generous size and will start many fires. It also has a removable belt clip and bushcraft loop. You can interchange them as you see fit.

Overall in our testing the Mora Bushcraft Black performed well. It batoned through Oak more efficiently than one of my $300 knives with no sign of failure. Its sharp edge worked well when working on finer cutting task as well. It's a tough knife for an excellent price a perfect bushcrafting companion.



2 comments:

  1. I have that one, and the orange model as well. I LOVE them, and are my favorite Moras (I have a drawer full....). But I agree with you, if I could only take one knife into the woods it would be an ESEE or something robust like that. These are awesome but not as strong as I'd prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collection of bushcraft knives.Your knives are awesome . I have a collection of some handmade bushcraft knives that has been bought from Perkin Steel. You can buy more knives from: Perkin Steel

    ReplyDelete