I was lucky to get my hands on a KarrimorSF Sabre 45 Rucksack. Karrimor is a rucksack manufacturer based out of England. KarrimorSF is the military supplier of the company, with "SF" meaning Special Forces. The Sabre 45 is a 45 liter pack (kind of self explanatory) and comes in Olive, Black, Tan, and Multi-Cam. The 45 liter capacity can be upgraded with a PLCE side pockets or hydration system (sold separately). A 45 liter pack will work well for a 2-3 day wilderness excursion and even longer with ultralight gear and forgoing some comfort items.
I'll list out the features and go further in depth on some of them:
- Coolmesh Back System
- F-format internal frame (removable)
- S-shaped shoulder harness
- Sternum strap
- One main compartment
- Compatible with PLCE side compartments (as I mentioned previously)
- Compression Straps
- Shock cord carry system (this is located on the top of the pack)
- Zipped lid compartment
- Crampon Loops (for arctic environments)
- Twin ice axe holders (also for arctic environments)
- Rotproof thread (very important for jungle conditions)
- Reinforced with bartacks
- Durable water repellent (DWR)
- YKK zippers (I wouldn't use anything unless it has the YKK zippers)
I've used the pack on several excursion with varying load sizes and I find it extremely comfortable. It rides high and the belt sits right at my waste (I'm 6'1''). The internal frame is firm and holds the pack in place. The frame is more or less a dense foam pad, so it does absorb some of the shock. The Coolmash back system does what it's designed to do.
The shoulder straps fit well around the shoulders and has dual adjustment points. This makes it easy to situate the straps where you want them. Sternum straps should come standard with all packs, and is an included feature of the Sabre 45.
|Stuff sack main pouch closure|
Even though the Sabre 45 has been treated for waterproof-ness; I would still recommend using a dry bag since the seams usually lead way to leaks in packs in my experience. Their is also a fastex buckle for double security of the main pouch.
Grey Ghost Gear is the official supplier of the KarrimorSF product line here in the U.S. The pack retails for $166.53 (£105.00 ).